Taras Garapiak, Esq.
Taras is a member of the firm’s business litigation practice group.
He earned degrees in international studies and political science, before attending Wayne State University Law School and achieving his Juris Doctor, and entering the practice of business law.
During law school, Taras interned in the Southern District of New York Federal Court and worked in both the private and public sectors. He was also a participant in the Wayne State University Law School Criminal Appellate Practice Clinic and was a member of both the Mock Trial and Moot Court teams, mastering the art of both trial and appellate practice.
Some of Taras’s recent representative engagements include, inter alia, the following:
- Successfully arguing in the Michigan Court of Appeals on an issue concerning the scope of arbitration clauses. (Mich. App. Op. 3/9/2023).
- Member of Trial Team that secured a very favorable (nominal) settlement on the eve trial for a doctor prosecuted by the United States Government in a 14-year Qui Tam healthcare fraud case seeking $20 Million in actual damages.
- Co-Lead counsel on Arbitration Team securing $500,000 Verdict in commercial partnership dispute. (see Michigan Lawyer’s Weekly, 2/13/2023)
- Securing the dismissal and affirmance on appeal of the lawsuit alleging hundreds of thousands of dollars in a breach of contract and fiduciary duty damages. (see Michigan Lawyer’s Weekly, 3/07/2023)
- Breach of contract and business tort litigation
- Defense of fiduciary breach claims, achieving dismissal of 11 counts on summary disposition
- Commercial collections, foreclosures, and land contract forfeiture
- Intellectual property litigation involving the misappropriation of trade secrets
Taras is a member of the Privately Held Business Forum, a committee of the State Bar of Michigan, Business Law Section, and he is the Chair of the Pro Bono (“For The Good”) Initiatives Committee.
Taras is bilingual in Ukrainian and Russian.